Come Up To My Room (#CUTMR) is an alternative design exhibition that provides a platform for experimentation outside the norms of art and design, at the edges between intention and interpretation. Freed from the constraints of traditional practice, CUTMR encourages spatial exploration that engages our senses, our memories and our perceptions of reality. The exhibition challenges participants to push their everyday practice by offering a blank canvas upon which to explore new themes and ways of working. Framed within the backdrop of the historic 126-year-old Gladstone Hotel, CUTMR invites artists and designers to create site-specific, immersive installations that stimulate the imagination and encourage discussion and dialogue between contributors and visitors alike.
The 15th instalment of CUTMR will take place between January 18 and January 21, 2018, in conjunction with Toronto Design Offsite Festival (TO DO) Interior Design Show (IDS). We invite you to submit proposals as individuals or as collectives, and multidisciplinary teams are encouraged. This call is open to Canadian and international participants.
For more information please visit: comeuptomyroom.com
- Second Floor Immersive Installations: Participants create new, site-specific work in rooms or public spaces on the second floor. A total of 8 rooms are available. Public spaces include, walls, foyers, alcoves and a pop-up bar. Submissions for these spaces should be installation based and aim to transport the visitor into a complete immersive, “otherworldly” environment.
- 3rd and 4th Floor: Hallways and public spaces are available for exhibition proposals which will orient visitors to Toronto to its vibrant alternative design scene. Curated group works and associated exhibits are welcome to apply.
- Other Public Space Projects: Participants create functional or performative pieces that engage visitors throughout the hotel. This includes:
- Exterior Spaces – Available spaces include the green roof, facades, alleyways, windows, balconies and projections that activate the street.
- Ground Floor & Main Stairwell – Available spaces include the vestibule, front desk, cafe brick wall, ballroom for the Love Design Party, main stairwell, elevators, balcony alcove archway (BAR). Proposals for activating our food and beverage areas are welcome as well as installations in the cafe and the Melody Bar. We also have smart TVs for animations/film (some limitations due to service).
- Other Spaces – Got an idea you don’t see here – let us know!
- Performances & Events: Ask us if you’d like to collaborate with Gladstone Resident Artist Bruno Billio. We also accept proposals for performances during programming, sound pieces and proposals for works or events at offsite Locations. The sky’s the limit really!
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please submit electronically no later than Sunday June 18, 2017. Submissions must include:
Completed online submissions form, found HERE:
Emailed Proposal to email@example.com, including:
Portfolio of visual representation of 2-5 previous projects and your website URL
A one-page Expression of Interest specific to CUTMR 2018
2-5 images of your work (ArtistName_Title.jpg)
NOTE: Unlike the room installations, participants submitting for a public space project MUST include details of specific works to be exhibited in the show. All participants are required to showcase new work and are asked to produce work specifically for CUTMR 2018. Please include as much detail as possible on your proposal for the space, as well as images of your previous work. Drawings, descriptions, etc., of your proposed project are essential.
$600 + HST for room installations
$250 + HST for public space projects
Fees are payable upon acceptance.
NOTE: Several of our past participants have been successful in obtaining exhibition assistance grants and sponsorships from Toronto Arts Council and Ontario Arts Council or private donors respectively.
WHAT YOU GET
Fees include space rental for the run of the exhibition; exhibition administration, curation and coordination; inclusion in the promotion, professional PR services, social media promotion, VIP events, exhibition catalogue and cross-promotion with the Toronto Design Offsite (TO DO) list. Past press coverage has included: Toronto Life, Where Toronto, Canadian Architect, Forbes Mag, Torontoist, CBC (Stephen & Chris), Azure, Design Lines, Now Toronto, the Globe and Mail, Monocle and many more!
Apply to Come Up to My Room 2017 HERE!
The Gladstone Hotel
1214 Queen St. West,
Toronto, ON M6J 1J6
(647) 793-7024, ext. 7105
Sign up for the Gladstone’s Art News + Call for Submissions here!